Monday, August 11, 2014

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes and Apples


As I’ve mentioned previously, I’m a busy girl. I rely heavily on quick-cooking meats and seafood throughout the week. So when the weekend rolls around, I’m ready to grill, roast, and slow cook. This weekend, in particular, my local grocer had beautiful pork tenderloins on sale—I’m also a sucker for a good sale—so I snatched up a few. I popped them in my freezer and kept one out. A friend had made a pork, apple, and sweet potato dish for me one time, and it really hit the spot. With this dish, I tried to recreate that warm, sweet combination with some Whole30 flair. Try it yourself and let me know what you think!

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes and Apples

 
1 – 1 1/4 pound pork tenderloin
Olive oil
Few sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
1 large apple, diced
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (check your labels!)
1 teaspoon ground sage
salt and pepper, to taste

1.) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Rub pork with olive oil, and season both sides with rosemary and salt and pepper. Place diagonally in an 8 X 8 or 9 X 9 pan.
2.) Toss diced sweet potatoes and apples together in a bowl. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Toss again. Spoon the mixture evenly into the pan, on either side of the pork.
3.) In a medium bowl, combine the applesauce, mustard, balsamic vinegar, sage, and salt and pepper until evenly combined.
4.) Smother the pork, sweet potatoes, and apples with the applesauce mixture. (I usually start by smothering the pork, and then smother the sweet potatoes and apples with whatever is left over. Remember: the pork is your star!)
5.) Bake until pork is fully cooked and apples and sweet potatoes are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
6.) Remove pork from pan and place on cutting board. Place a piece of loose-fitting aluminum foil over the pork, crimping the edges around the board. Let the pork rest for about 5 minutes. Slice into pieces and place on a serving dish. Spoon the sweet potato and apple mixture onto the same dish with a slotted spoon.  



Recommendations
To add some greens to the meal, I like to stir-fry some green beans in ghee, garlic, and salt and pepper. After the beans are soft, turn the burner off, squeeze juice from half a lemon over the beans, and give one final toss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment