Thursday, July 24, 2014

Creamy Buffalo Chicken Salad


For the record, my boyfriend is profoundly loving, supportive, and one of my biggest fans. He believed in me with every bite of my first Whole30, offered encouragement when I was down, and handled my initial mood swings (see: Whole30 Timeline) like a champ. 

He did, however, make a big ol’ casserole dish of buffalo chicken dip for a family gathering with only five days to go in my first Whole30. Now, for me, the beginning of my Whole30 was a breeze—I wanted to successfully complete the program more than I wanted any cookie, pancake, or slice of pizza. The end of my Whole30? Well, that was a different story… I struggled to stay on track and had a lot more cravings. I felt a grand sense of accomplishment with the first 25+ days—my clothes were too big, my skin was clear, I had sustained energy. I was satisfied with my results, it had already worked. Did I REALLY(?!) have to do the entire 30 days? I knew in my heart the answer to that question was a resounding "YES!" so I trudged on. As I stared at that simmering pot of BCD before he put it in the oven, I thought—there has to be something I can do. Something that will satisfy me without plunging head-first into this pot. I searched online for various Whole30-compliant buffalo chicken recipes. There are some great slow-cooker recipes and some delicious recipes with whole chicken breast, but all I had was ground chicken and I needed something quick before I went under. So I improvised, and this dish was born.

                                                Creamy Buffalo Chicken Salad

Coconut oil
½ medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground chicken
¼ cup plus 2-3 tablespoons Frank’s Original hot sauce (you can use any compliant brand you find)
2-3 tablespoons homemade ranch dressing**
Chopped romaine lettuce or other leafy greens

**For the ranch dressing, I started with the official Whole30 mayo recipe and then made some slight modifications. First, I made the mayo and transfered most of it to a bowl, reserving some to use throughout the week. Then, I added coconut milk 1 spoonful at a time until I reached the desired consistency. I would venture a guess and say I ended up adding ¼ cup. Next, I added about 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, 1-2 teaspoons granulated garlic, and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. This modification works for me, but you’re in more than capable hands if you stick with their version!

1.)   Heat a large sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add coconut oil (about 1 tablespoon) and swirl to coat the pan. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
2.)   Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 to 45 seconds.
3.)   Add  ground chicken, and break up into bite size pieces with a spatula or spoon. Cook until no more pink remains, about 6-8 minutes.
4.)   Reduce heat to medium-low. Add ¼ cup hot sauce, and stir. Add tablespoon increments until the meat is fully saturated. I usually get to 2-3 tablespoons before I stop, but this is really preference because the more hot sauce you add, the hotter it will be! Let simmer for a couple of minutes.
5.)   Turn off heat, remove from burner, and let stand for a minute or two to slightly cool.
6.)   Add ranch dressing one tablespoon at a time until creamy to suit your preference. Again, I usually make it to about 2-3 tablespoons.
7.)   Place greens on a plate, and spoon the mixture on top.




Recommendations
You can add anything to the salad. I recommend some red onion and cucumbers for a cool crunch that contrasts with the heat of the hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment