Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Leek and Potato (and Onion) Soup


The other day, I was given a slew of freshly picked vegetables from an organic garden (talk about a Whole30 jackpot!). Not wanting to waste one thing, I quickly took inventory and vowed on the spot to use every last item. Included in the mix was one lonely leek, which made me immediately want leek and potato soup—especially with the newly allowed Whole30 potato rule. A quick search online told me that I needed multiple, pounds even, leeks for leek and potato soup. So, I improvised: One leek it was, and then I added half a medium-sized onion. At first I was only substituting the onion to make up for the missing leek(s), but then as I was cooking and tasting and cooking and tasting, I realized the leek and onion combination gave my soup a slightly enhanced depth of flavor … and voila! I had leek and potato (and onion) soup!

Leek and Potato (and Onion) Soup


1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons ghee
1 leek, cleaned and trimmed down to the white portion, thinly sliced (To fully clean, chop off the green part, peel back layers, and clean under running water as needed)
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 quart compliant or homemade chicken stock
1 1/2 pounds white potato, peeled and diced (if you’re a traditionalist, then try white sweet potatoes!)
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup canned coconut milk

1.) Heat a medium sized pot or Dutch oven over medium to medium-low heat. Add ghee and swirl to coat the pot.
2.) Add leek and onions. Let cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Watch your heat. If the leek and onions start to brown, turn down your heat. You want them soft and translucent with minimal browning on the bottom of the pot.
3.) Add garlic and stir. Let cook about 30-45 seconds until fragrant.
4.) Pour in chicken stock and add potatoes. Stir.
5.) Depending on the saltiness of your stock, season with salt and pepper. Add Italian seasoning and smoked paprika.
6.) Turn up heat to medium to medium-high and gently boil for about 8-10 minutes, until potatoes are just tender.
7.) Add coconut milk and stir. Let the soup cook for another couple of minutes. Turn off heat.
8.) Using an immersion stick or blender, puree the soup until thick and creamy without any lumps. If using a blender, puree the soup in batches to prevent messes or spills.
9.) Return the soup to the stove and heat if needed.
10.) Garnish! See Recommendations below.  


Recommendations
This is where the meat comes in! As pictured, I added some prosciutto and basil on top. I’ve also paired the soup with some slices of roast beef on the side. Once, I even threw some diced Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage right into my bowl. By keeping the soup meat-free, I have the freedom to add different meats as a side option for some variety with each bowl. And as every Whole30-er knows, it's all about the variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment